Saturday, November 01, 2008

Tom's Bridge II

I've been fussing with this one for a long time. Finally called it "sufficiently overworked" and stuck it in a frame. It's big, for me, 18x24, and the only reference was a small painting I made on location, but I changed it a bunch from the reference. I've made a painting from this little stretch of the New Fork every August now for three or four years - maybe longer. This one is something of a walk on the wild side for me, it's hard to see from the photo but I've used lots of reds and lavenders in the dark trees and bridge to try to simulate strong backlight - been studying the way Kevin Macpherson does that so well. Lots more gray tones than I usually use, too. I hope I'm becoming a little more sensitive in my use of color over time - not always "killing bugs with a sledge hammer" as some workshop instructor once told me I have a tendency to do.

No comments: