Saturday, November 22, 2008

Weekend Still Life


Had buttermilk left over from a pie this week, so I made biscuits which ended up being the still life subject matter for a cold Saturday. (Made a buttermilk cake, too - it was great! email me for the recipe!)
I'd like to do more of these little still lifes this winter - for years I've been watching Duane Keiser and his brilliant evolution both as a painter and as a promoter of his work via the internet. He made a long series of little paintings, and began using his blog and Ebay to distribute his artwork to collectors. Regular people were (and still are, although his prices have justifiably risen) able to collect some world class artwork, Duane covers his expenses, and it's been really fun to watch. Don't know if I'll be able to maintain the focus and consistency that I'd like to, but watch for more of these little "Saturday Still Lifes". Another inspiration for food art has been Elizabeth Brandon... I drool over her paintings monthly on the cover of Cook's Illustrated. And to think some people buy that mag for the recipes!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: